Publisher: Western Port News 4th September 2012,
Title: Police go online for feedback, Author: Neil Walker, P 9, viewed
6/9/2012.
Community policing has now gone online. The blog – www.frankstonpolice.blogspot.com.au
began in April and is the first for the state with Dandenong set to be the next
blog division. The blog is to engage
with the community via social media in Frankston and on the Peninsula. Facebook
and Twitter are also being used by police to directly communicate with the
public. The Frankston blog highlights the STOP teams (Social Tasking Operations
and Patrol) targeting criminal and anti-social behaviour. Readers are invited
to suggest resource direction and post comments on the blog site.
After visiting the user friendly site it offers varied
stories from how young teens play video car pursuit games, crash at 180kph only
to come back to life and play again 30 seconds later with photos further down
of a car crash involving a young driver and wet conditions (the reality); the
question being, is there any link?
There’s the underage drinking blog after
a Friday night in August; issues of violence in public spaces and how to party
safe. There are videos to watch of the STOP team going about their policing. A
great article posted Tuesday 19th June 2012 about young drivers
perception that police pick on “P” plate drivers and the police blog their
thoughts to give their perspective. Lots of comments posted on that one! But
there’s communication that’s what counts! I just love this proactive approach to relate
and connect with the community that they serve and I know this isn’t really a
library related blog as such, but as I conclude I will make a vague attempt to
create a connection. You see the police serve the community and -hey- so do
libraries both are embracing new technology and social media to hear you, be
there for you and meet your needs. I love what the police are trying to do here
– but I hear you cry I have no computer, we don’t have the internet connected
at home, how can I have a say – not a
problem, visit your local community library, use their computers, its free, so
go blog a policeman!
No comments:
Post a Comment