THE BOOK CLUB - Television
Jennifer Byrne is an engaging host who draws in all the
guest speakers throughout the program which on this occasion were Junot Diaz,
Sarah Dunant, Jason Steger and Marieke Hardy. The main book for discussion was
Secrecy by Rupert Thompson a 17th Century historical fiction piece
set in Florence. All guests had differing opinions, some liked it and others
did not. Junot Diaz thought it to be a “nutty” book and that the author does
not write women characters well. Sarah Dunant referred to it as a “fleshy” book
obsessed with sin and flesh; liking it. Jason Steger thought it a “dark” read
and not how he imagined Florence and Marieke Hardy didn’t like the book saying
it was “clunky” and “too wet”.
However after the show I was bored felt no connection or
even a real idea of what this book was about! I had no interest in the feature
novel or any of the other books briefly discussed. I got no sense of what the books
were about only the groups opinions on deep and meaningful, subtle author messages
from passages in the books. Ok, but what is the plot? Bored beyond belief and
quite disappointed, I was left feeling this show is perhaps quite “high-brow”
and not for average Robyn, I’m just not travelling on the same academic level, capable
of grasping the abstract concepts and grand philosophical principles of life woven
into the authors musings I guess.
Is this promoting reading and literature – you feel you have
to say yes – books are discussed and showcased on a show dedicated to promoting
books and reading. But maybe no if it isn’t connecting with anyone but already
committed readers and accomplished authors. I will give it a second chance.
BOOKS AND ARTS DAILY – Radio
The guest author on the program I listened to was Nikki
Gemmell talking about her first children’s novel “The Kensington Reptilarium”,
a story about four children from outback Australia who have to go and live with
a quirky uncle in London who has snakes in his house. I enjoyed this one on one
conversation with the author spruiking her current book and felt plot and
characters were translated effectively. Ms Gemmell talks about how the books
inception was due to her own children (much to her concern) abandoning reading and
constantly battling with them over too much “screen time” hence her decision to
write a book that her children star in. So I guess you could say she is
promoting reading on a personal, micro, level as well as to the wider
community. Interesting that even a writer struggles to keep her own children
engaged in reading so faces the challenge by combining her love of Australia
with her experiences living in London and makes her own children the characters
in a chapter book with the aim “to launch her children into the wonderful world
of reading”.
Yes this program promotes reading and literature and I
connected with the program better than the book club with more discussion on
the plot and characters taking place. However - I chose this podcast because I
have read a book by this author previously and new of the new children’s book
being released. Did I enjoy this more because my interest was there from the
start, familiar with the author I wanted to know about her new book? Both
programs promote reading and literature, simply perhaps to different audiences,
which is not a bad thing we want reading to appeal and draw in everyone after
all.
No comments:
Post a Comment